It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Baccano!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:02 pm 
Site Admin (10)

I heard about this when it first started airing and thought it sounded good, but general advice was to marathon it so I decided to wait until it was all released. I then forgot all about this series until last weekend; I was meeting up with some friends from university and Crazy Gospel brought this with him.

It was incredible. The more I think about the series the more I love it. It's captured me in the same way R.O.D did the first time I saw it. Something about the unorthodox nature of this series does put me in mind of R.O.D too.

The story is set in 1930s America and is about a number of Mafia gangs and other characters who for one reason or another come into contact with them. The story is told brilliant by splitting things into different years: 1930, 1931 and 1932. Each year continues on with its own story line but the anime jumps between each year as it feels like it. When you see a new scene start you are told the year but then you are expected to keep track of which bit is happening when yourself.

It sounds crazy and confused but it just works. It works so very well. The "main" story of the anime is happening in 1931 so while that is unfolding you are simultaneously finding out what started it all off and what happened afterwards. Remarks are made that you don't understand until the events that preceded them are shown later on. There is a lot more going that I can't go into without giving away spoilers.

The series has a very large cast which is also part of the interest, trying to keep track of who is who through out the various years. There is quite a lot of fairly graphic violence in this series as a number of assassins and gangs clash on a steam train as it crosses America (could this series get any cooler?).

All in all this series has a lot to offer: great characters, an excellent plot which require attention at all time to understand it and with no holds barred and some interesting twists. It also has the two best characters ever: Isaac Dian and Miria Harvent!

Watch it.

NOW.

(Here's the opening theme just in case you need more convincing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1AmmvJS05oo)

Last edited by Linden Ryuujin on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:24 pm 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
1st Lt, Special Ops, Department of Interstellar Security
Man that looks AWESOME.... too bad it's not at NetFlix :(

:cry:

My deviantArt Page

[ 2 posts ]