It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: If you had a kid, would you give it a Japanese name?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 pm 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Mad Scientists Assistant.
Saying that you wouldn't give them a Jap name because you're not of that ethnic group etc is like saying that Scottish People shouldn't have English names, or We shouldn't have American names. Im Scottish, Im not called some Scottish name like... um...hmm anyway, my name is Italian, none of my family members are Italian, my parents just liked that name. So if you like the name, depsite where it comes from, I think its OK To name your child that. (:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:46 pm 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Hakubi For Life
Sparkle wrote:
Saying that you wouldn't give them a Jap name because you're not of that ethnic group etc is like saying that Scottish People shouldn't have English names, or We shouldn't have American names. Im Scottish, Im not called some Scottish name like... um...hmm anyway, my name is Italian, none of my family members are Italian, my parents just liked that name. So if you like the name, depsite where it comes from, I think its OK To name your child that. (:

I think it's alright to name a child using a name of a different ethnicity as well. As long as you're doing it respectfully and not naming your child something offensive like an offensive expletive. A name is an important thing, especially when you consider that your child is going to have it the rest of their lives. It should at least be a good one with thought put into it. That said, I have no qualms about it, my primary concern would be if my spouse agrees on the name that I pick with me ^_^.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:48 pm 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Epic Bard
My viewpoint is that I am not deeply immersed in Japanese culture, and as such, I would feel strange naming my child as such. It's kind of like getting a tattoo of a language you don't know how to read. (Except latin...because its 'dead') I'm fine with other people doing it, but I wouldn't do it myself.

~*~Whenever there's a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time. . . That is up to you. -Happy Mask Salesman ~*~

~*~The right thing.. what is it? I wonder, if you do the right thing, does it really make everyone happy? -Child on the Moon, Majora's Mask ~*~

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:06 pm 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Historian Magnate
It's strange to see someone then hear their name is something completely different than their origins. Like me being really anglo, if I were called by some African name, it would be awkward for the person guessing why that is. Same with Japanese. Nothing wrong with naming your child with ANY name you want, but imagine what it would be like for them growing up.

With that in mind... I AM naming my two boys (if they were born together) Cegovax and Vercingetorix (both with soft 'Cs').
Gallic names, and if you're a history buff, you'd enjoy them.

If a Japanese lady was lucky enough to carry my offspring, she'd name them, after consulting me of course.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2