It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Your Top Anime List (:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:13 am 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Mad Scientists Assistant.
So alot of the anime topics have been in here since... well, no one goes to the other ones haha, so I hope it's OK that I made this here.

Basically, list your favourite anime in order, tell a bit about it and why it's in that position, and it'll give people an insight of to what you've liked and watched. Then they can suggest to you what else you might like to watch or perhaps see something that you put on your list and watch it themselves! (: Just put however much you want on your list. I'll start mine now (:

1- Tenchi Muyo.

Well, that was obvious. Considering I am here! I assume this might be first on many people's lists :3 But yeah, all the Tenchi series combined will always hold top spot for me. I'll include Saint Knights Tale in this too. Was probably the first anime that wasn't Pokemon that I liked when I was younger and it was on Toonami, found it again in 2008 and fell in love with it all over again. The OVA's are my favoruite, and even though it wasn't conveyed so well in the third OVA, has one of the best storylines i've watched. It's pretty in depth yet also one of the funniest anime series i've watched. Oh and has my favoruite anime character ever- Washu. :3

2- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I think this was the first mecha anime I watched. Before watching I didn't think i'd be keen on mecha anime, but I was wrong. I thought it would just be fighting with big robots and that would be that. And yes, There is fighting with 'big robots', but there is so much more to it. The storyline is very compelling and character development is excellent, you really get attached to some of them. This anime will have you in tears I guarantee. And if you're a guy, then you will shed manly tears. TTGL is just epic beyond words and was instantly one of my favourites. I am very glad I came across it. (:

3- Code Geass: Lelouch the Rebellion

I haven't yet finished it, but it's still number 3 in my ranks. Why? With two episodes to go of this first series I have enjoyed it immensely. Another Mecha anime with a very deep and gripping storyline. Japan was invaded by Britannia, and after a series of events you will learn from via flashbacks and some character revelations, had to surrender to Britannia. It was renamed area 11 and all Japanese Citizens were now Elevens and discriminated against. It was a bloody war and many people were killed including Lelouch's mother at the hands of Britannia. The story is set 7 years after this and tells of the rebellion led by Lelouch against Britannia, with power given to him by a mysterious girl. Every episode has a cliffhanger. And of course there is the debate in Code Geass about who is really the good and bad guys. For example, Princess Euphiemia (in my sig :3) is a member of the Birtannia royal family, yet is not seen as an enemy through her kind actions and character. There are much better examples I can give but I fear they may spoil too much of the story. If you liked TTGL You will love this! (:

4- Fruits Basket

The sweetest storyline i've ever came across :] Each episode will either have you crying or laughing. The story is about a girl who comes across a family who are cursed- whenever they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex they transform into their animal of the Zodiac. It's all about the bonds of friendship and family. The anime stops about only halfway through the manga, which I have heard is excellent, so I'm hoping for another series since the Manga finished last year. :3

5- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Hilarious High School/Sci-fi anime series. Yeah I know, there is all that confusion about which order to watch it inetc but when you figure all that out, it's very enjoyable indeed! There's also alot more to it than meets the eye. But I wont say to much, as if your curious and want to watch it then I wont ruin it. If anyone does want to watch it but is confused as to where to start then i'll happily help and show the way in which I watched the series. The second series was released last year and it was pretty good... apart from the fact that episodes 2-9 are pretty much the exact same. But you'll learn about that when you get there xD Also, from Haruhi came the Hare Hare Yukai, perhaps the most catchiest Japanese songs ever xD I really enjoyed watching this series. Oh, and fans of Yukine from Saint Knights Tale will probably adore Yuki Nagato x3

So there's my top 5 (: I may add more later when I have more time ^_^

Post subject: Re: Your Top Anime List (:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:07 am 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Hakubi For Life
Alright, I'm just going to preface this post with a couple of quick things I should mention. First of all, I love all of the series in my top five and think they ALL are worth watching ;). The other point I'd like to address is that this list is not static and potentially subject to change (I watch anime as often as time allows, so naturally I'll occasionally see one that tops my previous favorites).

1. Tenchi Muyo / Saint Knight's Tale:

No surprises here, I love Tenchi Muyo and SKT so much that they've become the solid number one contender! Both are related to the same series so that's why I'm going to lump them together like Sparkle did earlier. Tenchi captured me at an early age (I started watching it when it first came out on Toonami and I haven't seen a show that has captured my interest for such a long period of time before). SKT is quickly living up to all of the old feelings that Tenchi used to give me. That sense of wonder, nostalgia, and of course the mechs (I can't get enough of those mecha shows =D!). Whenever SKT ends up getting licensed in America, whether or not the dub cast is good I will be getting my hands on it. I loved the performance of the Japanese actors (this is coming from a dub maniac) and really applaud them for managing to balance humor and drama so well. Ryoko and Washu are my favorites from Tenchi, but Chiaia and Lashara are my favorites from SKT ^_^.

2.Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann:

This is the show that really elevated my interest in the mecha genre. I do not think that I can say enough good things about it! The action and mecha fights are visually stunning and exciting, but the story is about people believing in themselves to rise up and defeat any problem that they may ever face. If you're ever feeling down, this is the show to watch, it has ups and downs, but it continually motivates you while you spend time watching it. By the time I got to the final two episodes, I was off my couch yelling "GIGA DRILL" because of how awesome the anime is =). I like all the characters in this one, but my two favorites are definitely Kamina and Yoko... it's almost as if someone took the essence of all that is manly and injected it into Kamina, but then made the perfect supporting partner for him in a badass sniper woman =3! This is an anime that everybody should watch at least once, if not multiple times after that =D!

3.Outlaw Star:

Another anime that just oozes awesome, Outlaw Star is the space western at its best! With a completely lovable cast of characters, loads of humor, and some of the best old school cell drawn anime I've ever seen. The entire anime moves so fluidly, there are no jerky movements and they don't cut any corners with cop-outs like black screens or flashes of light. If you enjoy science fiction, look into Outlaw Star, I doubt it will disappoint you ^_-. My favorite character is Melfina because she's kind and a little quiet, which reminds me of myself a lot ^_^.

4.Ah! My Goddess:

This show is absolutely brilliant, I couldn't believe how pleased I was with myself for watching this on a whim. I had been looking for a more sensitive and fantasy/slice-of-life sort of anime when I picked this up for the first time. I watched the OVA first and after I had finished it I was hungry for more! I picked up the movie and both television seasons and watched all of them. I ended up liking the t.v. series more than the OVA because the t.v. series dub cast is excellent and with around 50 episodes, they have plenty of time to fully get into their roles and perfect them. My favorite character has got to be either Belldandy or Urd, they're so different that I have trouble discerning which one is more awesome!

5.Spice and Wolf:

This is probably the most surprising series that has ever entered my top five because it was a total wild card for me when I first watched it. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. It was dubbed by Funimation, and in my past experience, Funimation does an excellent job at making box sets and lowering prices, but they generally aren't that great at dubbing anime series. Thankfully, Spice and Wolf is absolutely stellar in every aspect. The animation is interesting and I felt it was pretty unique, certainly the character designs were very memorable as well. But what really managed to make it sink its claws into me was the stellar voice cast. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, does an excellent job. Even the side characters that only appear for an episode have fantastic voice actors that have clearly put their hearts into making their performances as solid as they could be. This is actually where I was first introduced to Brina Palencia, who has actually become one of my favorite voice actresses just for her part playing the role of Holo the Wise in this anime. The medieval themes, coupled with amazing sound and a unique story just make Spice and Wolf so refreshing to watch. If you haven't heard of this, you need to look into it! Also, Holo is my favorite character in the show.

Last edited by Akawoa on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:41 pm 
Space Pirate (2)

GP Classification:
Kaizoku Secho
Well this is tough since Tenchi was one of my first anime. Well this list is tough but here goes:
    1.Dragon Ball
    Dragonball Z was my actually my first exposure to anime and Japan really! When I saw Goku fighting Vegeta it was crazy! But the best one was the original prequel to Z which was Dragon Ball. It had everything Z had but more stuff such as adventure,comedy and of course the fighting.
    2.Tenchi Muyo!
    The 2nd anime to capture my interest when I first saw Ryoko in the bath scene i had my 1st ever anime crush. :oops: Thanks for the sweet memories Toonami! :D
    2.One Piece (Tie for 2nd)
    This series is so great since it reminds me of Dragon Ball so much with Luffy's character design resembling Goku's design so much and not just a bland rip-off like naruto was. This was the best out of the popular 3, Bleach is fine but i just couldn't manage to watch more after the 1st....
    4.Yu-Gi-Oh!
    What can I say i fell into the horrible 4kids dub and the whole YGO fad and loved the concept of an anime based around on card games and it wasn't a fighting anime for once. :mrgreen: Now I prefer the original Japanese verison.
    5.BoBoBo-BoBo-BoBo
I actually prefer the manga since it got away with a lot of parodies of popular anime such as DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh and even Pretty Sammy! But the anime was quite funny to watch on Toonami.

Navigator - Yami_Washu

Last edited by RyokoFanboy on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:00 pm 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
An amoral and evil fascist according to antvasima.
1. Tenchi Muyo OVA/Seikishi Monogatari

2. Vampire Hunter D/Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

3. Ninja Scroll

4. Dragonball, Z/GT (what got me into anime)

5. Yu Yu Hakusho/Bleach (I can't decide which I like better)

Smells like... IDIOCY.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:05 am 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Long Live Ryoko
1. TENCHI MUYO

2. Outlaw Star

3. Wolf's Rain

4. Samurai X

5. Cowboy Bebop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 pm 
Space Pirate (2)

1. Tenchi Muyo
2. Ghost in the Shell: SAC
3. Ouran Host Club
4. Sailor Moon
5. Spirited Away

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:59 am 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

1 BLACK LAGOON!
2 Excel Saga
3 MORE BLACK LAGOON!
4 Love Hina
5 Cat $^&* One (ok it ain't out yet, but i love it already)
6 Azumanga Dioh
7 Hellsing
8 Tenchi stuff (ruined by GXP and OVA3) TU is actually #1, but OVA3 and GXP leaves a bad taste in my mouth; like biting a clove :roll:

ann

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:41 am 
Space Pirate (2)

I guess I'll post here too. Maybe I'll edit this to write more about it when it's not 5:40am.

My favorites from what I remember:
Outlaw Star
Gundam 08th MS Team
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Gundam Seed
Macross Plus

Honorable mention to TM OVA, and Gundam Wing. Both of these were my first two anime ever. (aside from DBZ, SM I guess)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:04 pm 
Space Pirate (2)

GP Classification:
Future Ruler of Jurai
1.Tenchi Muyo
2.Full Metal Alchemist (original and brotherhood)
3.Rosario+Vampire
4.Kaibutsu Oujo~(Princess Resurrection)
5.El-Hazard (OVA. Because i havent seen the other ones yet T^T)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:35 pm 
Space Pirate (2)

GP Classification:
Bounty Hunter
1. DBZ- It was my first anime and holds a special place in my heart
2. Tenchi Muyo- I liked the comedy and the feel of it over the other two installments, although I didn't like the length.
Outlaw Star- Again, I'm a sentimental person and it reminds me of my childhood.
4.Any FC or UC timeline Gundam series.
5. Zoids

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:12 pm 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Mad Scientists Assistant.
Since I made that list I watched FMA:Brotherhood and Clannad. They would definitely be in my top five list now x3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:26 pm 
Galaxy Police Officer (9)

A lot of you guys have more recents on your list, mine sounds pretty old now:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Galaxy Express 999 (that's three-nine)
3. G Gundam
4. Dragon Ball
5. Yu Yu Hakusho
6. Paprika (the movie)

[ 12 posts ]